4 Dangers of Having Mold In Your Home

Mold In Your Home

Are you aware of the dangers of mold in your home? It’s easy to dismiss the occasional itchy eyes, sneezing, and coughing and think it’s just seasonal allergies but they may be symptoms of an even bigger and potentially deadly problem: molds.

That’s right, these unwelcome denizens of your home can lead to a number of severe health problems. While some types of molds can be seen in plain view, the worst ones are actually invisible to the naked eye.

Here are the facts about the dangers of mold in a home and why it needs your immediate attention:

The 4 Potential Dangers of Having Mold in Your Home

1. Health Issues

You may not know it but your home is the perfect breeding ground for molds. A mold is classified as fungi which means that it grows and behaves like a fungus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or CDC warns about the adverse effects of living with molds in your home.

  • Residents will experience respiratory tract symptoms including wheezing, runny nose, hives, coughing, and swelling of the throat.
  • Sufferers of allergies and asthma are more prone to these symptoms.
  • People with hypersensitivity pneumonitis become more vulnerable to the immune-mediated condition.

2. Black Molds

Although they’re also a type of molds, black molds deserve the extra attention since they are by far the most deadly type. Here are the facts about black molds that you need to know in order to stay safe:

  • Black mold is a neurotoxin – the spores coming from black mold can affect the brain’s neurons. This can incapacitate a person’s mental ability and can result in mood swings, tremors, and other neurological shifts.
  • Black mold can affect the immune system – spores coming from black molds can suppress the immune system when inhaled.
  • Black mold is deadly – inhalation of black mold spores can incapacitate the immune system and shut down your organs.
  • Black mold is a risk to everyone including pets – black mold symptoms and damage can put everyone at risk but the young, sick, and elderly are more susceptible. Even pets can be affected by black molds.

3. Molds are Airborne

As soon as molds are allowed to grow and develop, they can easily travel through the air which is not a good thing for the residents of the house. If you are experiencing the following symptoms, there’s a good chance that there’s an airborne mold in your home.

  • Sudden sneezing, itching, hives, and rashes
  • Feeling lethargic or irritable
  • Allergy symptoms have been aggravated
  • Difficulty breathing

4. Structural Damage

The growth of mold in your home can lead to structural damage. Be on the lookout for signs like discoloration of the floors and walls, visible damage on the hardwood, or condensation on the walls and windows.

Another dead giveaway is the strong, musty odor. When left unaddressed, molds can cause significant damage to your home which can lead to expensive repairs and restoration. Your best bet is to call a company that specializes in mold remediation.

Stay Safe From Molds

The moment that you discover that there’s mold in your home, you should take steps to minimize health risks with mold remediation. Most cases of toxic mold are preventable so you need to act fast.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *